If you are looking for a job as a driver in the UK, you may be wondering what are the requirements and how to get a work visa and permit. Driving is a popular occupation for many foreigners who want to work in the UK, as it offers flexibility, variety, and good pay. However, you need to meet certain criteria and follow the correct procedures to be eligible to work as a driver in the UK. In this article, we will explain the different types of driver jobs in the UK, the visa options and requirements, and the steps to apply for a work permit.Are You Searching for Driver Jobs in the UK? In this article we explain all aspects of driver employment as well as requirements and steps needed for visa and permit eligibility and application processes in this article, detailing various driver jobs available across UK as well as requirements needed to secure work visa and permit eligibility for each type. Driving can be an ideal job choice for many foreigners looking for work here as it offers flexibility, variety and a good salary; but to qualify as an official UK driver certain criteria need to be fulfilled as well as procedures followed correctly to become eligible. To be considered eligible as a driver we detail all types of driver jobs available within UK; also discussed will be visa options/requirements/application processes involved and steps needed in applying for work permit application procedures so they are clear.
Table of Contents
Types of Driver Jobs in UK
There are many types of driver jobs in the UK, depending on the vehicle, the cargo, and the distance. Some of the most common driver jobs in the UK are:
- Delivery driver: This involves delivering goods or parcels to customers or businesses, using a car, a van, or a motorcycle. Delivery drivers usually work for online retailers, courier companies, or food delivery services. Delivery drivers need to have a valid driving licence, good customer service skills, and a reliable vehicle. Delivery drivers can earn between £8 and £15 per hour, depending on the company and the location.
- HGV driver: This involves driving heavy goods vehicles (HGVs), such as trucks, lorries, or trailers, to transport goods or materials across the UK or abroad. HGV drivers usually work for logistics, manufacturing, or construction companies. HGV drivers need to have a valid HGV licence, a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC), and a digital tachograph card. HGV drivers can earn between £10 and £20 per hour, depending on the company and the location.
- Bus driver: This involves driving buses or coaches to transport passengers within a city or across the country. Bus drivers usually work for public transport, tourism, or school services. Bus drivers need to have a valid bus or coach licence, a Driver CPC, and a good knowledge of the routes and the traffic rules. Bus drivers can earn between £9 and £15 per hour, depending on the company and the location.
- Taxi driver: This involves driving taxis or private hire vehicles (PHVs) to transport passengers to their desired destinations. Taxi drivers usually work for taxi firms, ride-hailing apps, or as self-employed. Taxi drivers need to have a valid driving licence, a taxi or PHV licence, and a good knowledge of the area and the fares. Taxi drivers can earn between £10 and £25 per hour, depending on the company and the location.
Visa Options and Requirements for Driver Jobs in UK
To work as a driver in the UK, you generally need to have an employer or licensed sponsor. The visa options and requirements vary depending on the type of work permit, but common requirements include:
- A valid passport
- Proof of financial means to cover UK living costs
- Proof of accommodation
- A certificate of sponsorship from your employer
- A job on the eligible list of occupations
- A minimum salary for the job you will do
- A points-based system score of 70 or more
Some of the visa options for driver jobs in UK are:
- Skilled Worker visa: This visa allows you to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with an approved employer. This visa is suitable for HGV drivers, bus drivers, or taxi drivers who have a job offer and sponsorship from a UK employer. You need to score 70 points through the points-based system, which includes meeting requirements such as having an offer of work from a licensed sponsor and having a job at an appropriate skill level. You also need to pay a visa fee, a health surcharge, and an immigration skills charge. The Skilled Worker visa is valid for up to 5 years and can be extended or switched to another visa. You can also apply for settlement after 5 years of continuous work in the UK.
- Seasonal Worker visa: This visa allows you to come to the UK for up to 6 months to do farm work, such as picking fruit or vegetables. This visa is suitable for delivery drivers who want to work in the UK for a short period. You need to have a job offer and sponsorship from a UK employer who has a licence to sponsor seasonal workers. You also need to pay a visa fee and a health surcharge. The Seasonal Worker visa is valid for up to 6 months and cannot be extended or switched to another visa. You cannot apply for settlement or bring your family members with you.
- Youth Mobility Scheme visa: This visa allows you to come to the UK for up to 2 years to work and travel. This visa is suitable for young people aged 18 to 30 who want to experience life and work in the UK. You need to be a citizen of a participating country, such as Australia, Canada, Japan, or New Zealand. You also need to have £2,530 in savings and pay a visa fee and a health surcharge. The Youth Mobility Scheme visa is valid for up to 2 years and cannot be extended or switched to another visa. You can apply for any type of driver job in the UK, as long as you do not work as a professional sportsperson or a doctor or dentist in training. You can also apply for settlement or bring your family members with you.
Steps to Apply for a Work Permit for Driver Jobs in UK
To apply for a work permit for driver jobs in UK, you need to follow these steps:
- Find a job and an employer who can sponsor you. You can search for driver jobs in UK on various websites, such as Indeed, Reed, or GOV.UK. You can also contact employers directly or use a recruitment agency. You need to make sure that the employer has a licence to sponsor workers and that the job is on the eligible list of occupations.
- Get a certificate of sponsorship from your employer. This is a reference number that confirms that your employer has offered you a job and that you meet the requirements for the visa. Your employer will give you the certificate of sponsorship when they assign it to you. You need to use the certificate of sponsorship within 3 months of receiving it.
- Apply for the visa online. You need to fill in an application form, upload your documents, and pay the visa fee, the health surcharge, and the immigration skills charge (if applicable). You need to apply for the visa 3 months before you want to start working in the UK. You can check the processing time and the status of your application online.
- Prove your identity and provide your biometrics. You need to book an appointment at a visa application centre, where you will have your fingerprints and photograph taken. You may also need to submit your passport and other documents. You will get your passport and visa back by mail or by collection.
- Travel to the UK and start working as a driver. You need to check the validity and conditions of your visa before you travel. You may also need to show your visa and other documents at the UK border. You can start working as a driver as soon as you enter the UK, as long as you have the right licence and qualifications. You need to follow the rules and regulations of your visa and your employer while you work in the UK.
Working as a driver in the UK can be a rewarding and enjoyable career choice for many foreigners who want to live and work in the UK. However, you need to meet the visa requirements and apply for a work permit to be eligible to work as a driver in the UK. You need to find a job and an employer who can sponsor you, get a certificate of sponsorship, apply for the visa online, prove your identity and provide your biometrics, and travel to the UK and start working as a driver. You also need to choose the right visa option for your situation, such as the Skilled Worker visa, the Seasonal Worker visa, or the Youth Mobility Scheme visa. By following these steps, you can find urgent driver jobs in UK with visa and get work permit for foreigner.