Google Pixel 5a 5G Review
The Google Pixel 5a is the third Pixel “a” Series smartphone, which targets cheaper alternatives to the Google Pixel devices. Battery life and water resistance are increasingly prioritized. The “a” Pixel family now has a welcome new feature. The phone is identical in appearance and size to the Pixel 4a 5G and shares many specifications. Even though they are quite similar, they’re still quite distinct.
Even though the physical measurements differ by less than a millimeter, the device has the same components and internal components as its predecessor. It has a battery capacity that is 15% better than the Pixel 4a 5G’s capacity. The Pixel 5 has a construction of a stronger aluminum and resin unibody like the newer versions of the phone. The new version is also water resistant, and it can survive under water for up to thirty minutes.
Google Pixel 5a 5G specs at a glance:
- Body: 154.9×73.7×7.6mm, 183g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass 3), aluminum/plastic unibody; IP67 dust/water resistant (up to 1m for 30 mins).
- Display: 6.34″ OLED, 60Hz, 1080x2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 415ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM765 Snapdragon 765G (7 nm): Octa-core (1×2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1×2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver); Adreno 620.
- Memory: 128GB (non-expandable), 6GB RAM.
- OS/Software: Android 11.
- Rear camera: Wide (main):12.2MP, f/1.7, 27mm, 77˚ (wide), 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF, OIS; Ultrawide angle: 16 MP, f/2.2, 119˚, 1.0µm.
- Front camera: 8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm, 83˚ (wide), 1.12µm.
- Video capture: Rear camera: [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/120/240fps; gyro-EIS; Front camera: [email protected]
- Battery: 4680mAh; Fast charging 18W.
- Misc: Rear-mounted fingerprint reader; 3.5mm jack.
The Pixel phones’ main feature is their excellent camera hardware, but the hardware itself is identical to the Pixel 4a 5G and the Pixel 5, meaning you’re not really getting anything different. There is likely to be little variance in camera quality. Likewise, the Snapdragon 765G with 6GB of RAM performs consistently well.
A price increase accompanies these changes. Is the Pixel 5a’s $449 price tag justified because of the additional improvements to the hardware? Is the Pixel 5a a good Pixel phone?
Let’s start by seeing what’s in the box.
Google has had similar packaging for years. When you open the box, you’ll see a picture of the Pixel 5a to actual size, with the phone laying face down.
The Pixel 5a has a plastic covering which you should take off before charging with the included charger and USB-C cable, or connecting it to another device via the adapter that Google calls the “Quick Switch Adapter”. Transfer data from another phone to the Pixel 5a with this capability.
We’ll continue by going over the latest Pixel’s hardware.